What’s more comforting and satisfying than meatloaf? How about meatloaf wrapped in bacon, seasoned perfectly, and dowsed with a rich, creamy gravy? Yep. I think that’ll do. That’ll do just fine…
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- ground beef or ground lamb or ground pork
- heavy whipping cream
- shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- sliced bacon
- heavy whipping cream, for the gravy
- tamari soy sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the onion until soft but not browned.
- Mix the ground meat in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients, except the bacon.
- Mix well, but avoid overworking it because this can make the end result too dense.
- Form into a loaf and place in a baking dish. Wrap the loaf in bacon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes.
- If the bacon begins to overcook before the meat is done, cover with aluminum foil and lower the heat a bit.
- Save the juices that have accumulated in the baking dish, and use to make the gravy.
- Mix the juices and the cream in a smaller saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat and let simmer for 10–15 minutes until it has the right consistency.
- If you want, use a little tamari soy sauce to taste.
- Serve with freshly boiled broccoli or cauliflower with butter, salt, and pepper or any other side dish of your choice.