What I love about this recipe, is that I can make myself a nice, creamy, single serving of mac & cheese, or I can double or triple it if I want some …
- 4 Tbsp uncooked macaroni pasta
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp ground mustard
- 1 dash(es)hot sauce
- 1 dash(es)Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp bread crumbs (i like panko bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fill a small saucepan with water, and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and let boil about 8 min. or until the pasta is cooked but still firm. Drain & set pasta aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder & milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low, and add cheese (at this point you can add the ground mustard,
- Worcestershire and hot sauce if desired), and stir until cheese melts and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the pasta.
- Spoon into greased, oven-proof ramekin, soup crock, or small gratin dish. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese, or bread crumbs if you wish (I use both!).
- Place on a small baking sheet (in case it bubbles over), and bake for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and it is heated through.
*Note: There are so many ways you can vary this. You could use sauteed onions instead of the onion powder, or add bacon, etc. Let your imagination run wild