I created this baked potato casserole with input from friends and neighbors. It makes a great side dish for special meals. — Karen Berlekamp, Maineville, Ohio…
- 5 lbs potatoes – whichever kind you like
- 2 stick butter
- 1/4 chives, dried
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 shredded cheese – can use whatever blend you prefer
- 2 pkg real bacon bits
- 24 oz sour cream – can use low fat or fat-free
- you can increase the sour cream – I encourage you to taste at the mixing step and get it to your liking. we use a lot of sour creams!
- Peel, wash, and dice potatoes. Put in a large pan and cover with water. Add chives and one stick of the butter. Also, add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cook potatoes until fork tender and drain (usually about 45 minutes)
- Place in mixing bowl with a remaining stick of butter and 1/2 the sour cream to start with.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix potatoes on low speed to blend everything. Add remaining sour cream to get potatoes to your preferred consistency.
- After potatoes are mixed, take a 9X13 casserole dish and layer potatoes, cheese, and bacon bits. Repeat so that you have at least 2 layers.
- Cook on 350 for approximately 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- CAN BE PREPARED AHEAD OF TIME AND/OR REFRIGERATED, YOU WILL JUST NEED TO INCREASE THE COOK TIME