One of the best options for side dishes is cauliflower when you’re trying to load your meal with nutrients. Cauliflower is often mistaken for green vegetables, and it is rich in vitamins and minerals such as niacin, vitamin K, and folate. Ounce for ounce, cauliflower contains more vitamin C than a similar orange serving.
Roasting is not your first cooking process, but the results are pretty good. The cauliflowers are sliced into thick slices and mixed with olive oil and extra virgin herbs. Wherever the hot roasting pan comes into contact with the flat surfaces, a deep browning occurs, which results in a sweet, nutty flavor.
Total: 35 mins | Serving: 4
- 8 cups (1-inch-thick) of slices cauliflower florets, (about (1) large head; see Tip)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Start by preheating the oven at about 450 degrees F.
- Toss the cauliflower, oil, marjoram, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Then, spread it on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast it for 15 to 20 minutes until starting to soften and brown on the bottom. Toss the cauliflower with vinegar and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven and roast it for 5 to 10 minutes more until the cheese melts, and any moisture has evaporated.
Tip: Remove the outer leaves to prepare the florets from a whole head of cauliflower. Slice thick stem off. 4 Slice through the smaller stems with a circular motion — removing a “plug” from the middle of the head, with the head upside down and holding a knife at an angle of 45 °. Cut or split the florets to the desired amount.
Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is perfect for everything from roasting to capturing unintended spills and drips. Before each use, line them with a layer of foil for effortless cleaning and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape.
Per Serving: 152 calories; 7 mg cholesterol; 362 mg sodium. 519 mg potassium; 10.2 g carbohydrates; 3.2 g fiber; 5 g sugar; 6.8 g protein; 99 IU vitamin a iu; 75 mg vitamin c; 90 mcg folate; 163 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 29 mg magnesium; 10.2 g total fat; 2.9 g saturated fat.