Simple, easy and cheesy! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making this every day! Give it a shot, you’ll love it!To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients:
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves (I used half a teaspoon because I didn’t want mine too ‘clovey’.)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
You will also need:
- 12 250 ml canning jars – sterilized
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of a dozen 250ml canning jars. (I wiped mine down with vegetable oil.)
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mash bananas–Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add to banana mixture and mix well.
- Add nuts and stir them in with the spoon.
- Insert canning funnel into the mouth of the jar and pour mixture into greased jars, filling half full.
- Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.
- Place jars directly on a rack in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Don’t worry if a few rises over the top of the jar a bit. You can press it down with the lid after it has finished baking.
- While jars are still warm, add lids. Screw on tightly.
- Listen for the ping once you have added the lids; this means that the jar is sealed.
- If you miss the “ping”, wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn’t move at all, it’s sealed.