This recipe has been around for a while. It is a delicious casserole that can be made ahead time if needed. The only thing I can add to this is a few of my personal …
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (10 ounces) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Ro-tel)
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 8 oz Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a little mozzarella, too)
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook beef, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is cooked through.
- Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking water then drain.
- Whisk sour cream, cream cheese, cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the reserved water until smooth. Stir in green onions, noodles and remaining 1 1/2 cups of cooking water.
- Spread noodle mixture in prepared baking dish. Cover the noodles with the beef mixture. Sprinkle the shredded cheeses evenly over the top of the beef mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.