Nine cheeses? Oh, yeah! I was craving macaroni and cheese, but wanted something a little different and this is what I came up with. Believe it or not, I didn’t even include every cheese in my refrigerator! I listed that the recipe serves 6, but you’d better get an extra big helping because there probably won’t be any left for seconds!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
4 qt water, boiling
1 tsp salt
8 oz elbow macaroni, uncooked
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 brick), room temperature
1/8 c bleu cheese crumbles
1/4 c asiago cheese, shredded
1/3 c muenster cheese, shredded
1/2 c mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2/3 c monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 c half & half creamer (or combination of heavy cream & whole milk)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/16 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 c herb seasoned croutons, crushed
1. (NOTE:) Recipe may be doubled for 9″x13″ or 4 qt. casserole.
2. Lightly grease a 2 or 2 1/2 quart casserole dish; set aside.
3. (This step is the most time consuming, so you may want to shred the cheeses ahead of time. Please don’t use the pre-shredded cheeses as it will negatively affect your results.) Gather and prep all ingredients except macaroni (shred cheeses, crush croutons etc…
4. Add water and 1 teaspoon salt to large pot (5 qt. or larger;) over high heat, bring water to boil.
5. Add macaroni, stir; when water returns to boil, reduce heat to medium-high; set timer and cook for 8 minutes.
6. Drain macaroni, but do NOT rinse; return macaroni to hot pot.
7. Immediately add butter and cream cheese; stir gently until melted.
8. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
9. In a plastic food bag or bowl combine cheeses.
10. Add combined cheeses to macaroni; stir to mix well.
11. Into the half & half, add egg, seasoned salt and black pepper; whisk or beat well with a fork until very well combined.
12. Pour over macaroni and cheese mixture in pan; stir to mix well.
13. Pour macaroni mixture evenly into prepared dish. (If you have a little shredded cheese leftover, you may sprinkle on top of macaroni mixture, up to 1/2 cup.)
14. Make topping by combining crushed croutons with melted butter; stir to coat; stir in the parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over macaroni.
15. Bake at 350ºF for approximately 50 to 60 minutes (place a sheet of aluminum foil over it, towards the end of cooking time, if it is beginning to become too browned.)
16. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. If reheating, add a tablespoon of milk or half & half to the bottom of the dish.