- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times.
- Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
- Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.