This is perfect! I enjoyed every bite of this incredible dish. For some of you who are not fans of alcohol, this will probably change your mind about it. The bourbon in this recipe is out of this world! Did it make the sauce extra flavorful and the bacon? Don’t get me started on the bacon. We all know that everyone loves bacon, right? Well, just think about how the bacon would taste like in this dish. Finish? Awesome, right? The only thing to do is to give this one a try and taste it yourself.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 3 hrs 22 mins | Total: 3 hrs 37 mins | Servings: 8 | Yield: 2 cups
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 fl oz) can caffeinate pepper-type soda (such as Dr Pepper®)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 (16 ounces) cans baked beans with pork
- Step 1: Ready the oven and preheat to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Step 2: In a medium mixing bowl, add in the mustard, paprika, sugar, and cayenne powder. Stir until well mixed.
- Step 3: Add in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper soda. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Step 4: Slice 4 bacon strips into even smaller strips.
- Step 5: Place a Dutch oven on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
- Step 6: Add in sliced bacon strips and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until it becomes crispy.
- Step 7: Place the cooked bacon into a medium bowl and set aside the grease.
- Step 8: Saute’ the chopped onion inside the Dutch oven with the bacon grease. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Step 9: Add in garlic and cook for another 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 10: Pour in the bourbon and stir to sweep the bottom part. ( The best flavors are the bits that are stuck on the bottom part. ) Use a spoon for stirring.
- Step 11: Put the cooked bacon strips back into the Dutch oven.
- Step 12: Transfer the baked beans and the sugar mixture into the Dutch oven. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the beans are hot and cooked through.
- Step 13: Place the rest of the bacon over the beans.
- Step 14: Place inside the preheated oven and bake for 3 hours or until the beans are soft and the sauce is thick.
- Step 15: Serve hot and enjoy!
If you are not a fan of alcohol, you can use apple cider vinegar instead of bourbon.
305.5 calories; protein 10.2g 20% DV; carbohydrates 51.8g 17% DV; fat 5.8g 9% DV; cholesterol 17.9mg 6% DV; sodium 928.5mg 37% DV.