It gives me a sense of empowerment when I don’t need to run to the store for ingredients. Something about making do with what I have. Here is my impromptu recipe using the blackberries I picked and froze last August using ingredients we had on hand.
Cook time: 15 Min Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 4-6
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 c milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 Tbsp lemon zest, grated
1 c blackberries, still frozen and rolled in flour
1. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to a big bowl and whisk until well mixed.
2. Mix the brown sugar, milk, egg, lemon zest, and melted butter in another bowl until well mixed.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated (not too much mixing or the muffins will be chewy instead of cake-like).
4. Add the floured blackberries and fold into mixture.
5. Put into buttered muffin tins.
6. Pop into the oven for 16 – 20 minutes at 350.
7. You can tell the muffins are done by pushing on the top of one and if it springs back up they are done. Since this recipe uses brown sugar instead of white sugar the color will be darker when they are finished baking.
8. The flour on the blackberries keeps them from falling to the bottom of your muffins and helps the muffins not be soupy.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK AND PIN IT!