We love molten cakes in the Test Kitchen. They’re not only decadent, but they are also easy to make. So we were big fans of Debbie’s chocolaty recipe. The outer edge is crunchy and the center is warm and oozing chocolate. What’s there not to love about this easy dessert recipe? This will be great for a special dinner… or just when you want a heavy dose of chocolate.
Cook time: 15 Min Prep time: 25 Min Serves: 6
1 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 c all-purpose flour
10 Tbsp butter (1 1/4 sticks… do not substitute!)
8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 6 (6-ounce) custard cups. (I just spray with cooking oil.)
2. Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. When melted, remove from the microwave. Mix the sugar and the flour into the melted butter and chocolate on low speed.
3. Add the eggs and egg yolks. Continue to mix on low speed until well blended. Add the vanilla and set aside.
4. Divide batter evenly among custard cups. Set on a cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 14 minutes. IMPORTANT!!! Be careful not to overbake. Edges should be firm but the center will be runny.
5. Run a knife around the edge to loosen and invert onto a dessert plate.
6. Garnish as desired. I prefer to sprinkle with confectioner sugar and set a strawberry by the side. My husband likes raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream with his.
I have a friend who likes his sprinkled with confectioner sugar and then sprinkled with chopped pecans. The possibilities are endless so just let your creative juices flow. Enjoy!!!!