If you’re looking for a delicious, seasonal, berry cake recipe to add to your morning-treat repertoire, this buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake is …
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
- 7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
- To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill the cup with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Use only 1/2 cup of the prepared mixture for the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick for doneness.
- If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes.
(Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.