This butternut squash risotto recipe tastes incredible! It’s also healthier than most and requires practically no stirring. You can bake it all in the oven…
- 2 cups cubed the butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place squash cubes into a steamer basket in a saucepan. Add water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Allow to steam until the squash is tender (10 to 15 minutes), then drain, and mash in a bowl with a fork.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly until it has evaporated.
- Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot chicken stock; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add half of the remaining chicken stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed.
- Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy.
- Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.