Looking for a good onion recipe? These onion side dishes are so tasty they’re taking center stage! Whatever you’re in the mood for we’re sure you’ll find what you’re looking for right here.
- 16 red pearl onions
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 squares Idiazabal cheese, 1-inch square and 1/3-inch thick
- Piment d’espelette for finishing
- Have ready a small bowl of ice water. Bring a small saucepan filled with water to a boil over high heat, add the onions, and boil for 1 minute. Drain and plunge into the ice water until cool. Cut off the root ends and slip off the skins.
- Return the onions to the saucepan and add the sherry, sugar, and water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, decrease for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are tender when pierced with a knife and the liquid is syrupy and reduced to 2 to 3 tablespoons. Watch carefully, lowering the heat ad adding a little water if necessary to prevent scorching. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a plate. Reserve the syrup in the pan.
- To serve, have ready 8 small skewers. Thread 1 onion, 1 cheese square, and a second onion onto each skewer, and arrange the skewers on a small platter. Drizzle with the reserved syrup, and sprinkle with Piment d’Espelette.