This easy carne guisada recipe is for Tex Mex style or Mexican beef stew. Chunks of beef simmered in fragrant brown gravy until tender. It’s so simple to prepare and you probably already have the ingredients on hand!
Cook time: 3 Hr Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 7-10
1 green bell pepper
1 medium onion
3 clove garlic (large)
2 large tomatoes
3 lb boneless beef shoulder roast (or stew meat)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp (heaping) lard (vegetable oil or olive oil can be substituted but will not give it the same flavor)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 c water
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1. In a large stovetop pan, add lard (or oil) and turn heat to medium.
2. Cut up shoulder roast to 1-inch cubes and add to pan. Roughly chop the tomato and add on top of meat.
3. Remove seeds from bell pepper. Rough chop and add to the top of ingredients.
4. Rough slice onion and add to the pan.
5. Chop garlic cloves small and thin and add to the top of the pan.
6. Add cumin, salt, and pepper.
7. Now stir all ingredients together. At this time the aromas should be AMAZING!
8. Place lid on top and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Stir occasionally.
9. 30 minutes before carne guisada is ready, add flour to the 1/2 cup water. Stir flour mixture into the pot.
10. Now you will notice that the vegetables have cooked down to practically nothing. They have converted to pure flavor!
11. Let simmer on low for the next 20-30 minutes. This recipe is so amazingly simple. No fancy ingredients. If this is not the best carne guisada recipe you have ever tried please let me know! Please feel free to add your special touches if you wish but this recipe has not changed for 100 years. It will bring your family together and is so Mexican and traditional.
12. The final product sits with traditional Mexican rice and homemade flour tortillas. I hope you enjoy it as long as my family has enjoyed it. Love to cook and cook with love!