Thanksgiving focuses on side dishes, and that’s a fact. If you’re like me, you’ll take one slice of turkey to be respectful and load tons of side dishes up your plate. This Cheesy, Creamy Cornbread Casserole is certainly our household’s favorite side dish because it’s so easy to make and you can prepare this ahead.
You might think of something more along the lines of Sour Cream Cornbread when you think of cornbread, cut into deliciously perfect squares, and served with a steaming hot bowl of chili. Cornbread also makes a great side for holiday meals, and a large casserole of corn is almost always a favorite. This Cheesy, Creamy Cornbread Casserole is a perfect combination of both. Try this recipe for corn casserole, and enjoy it with your loved ones.
Prep: 10mins | Cook: 30mins | Total: 40 mins | Servings: 12 | Yield: 1 – 9×13 inch pan
- (1) (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained with only 1/2 liquid reserved
- 1 (14.75 oz) can cream-style corn
- (2) large eggs
- 1 (8 oz) package dry cornbread mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Add and combine corn, reserved liquid, eggs, cornbread mix, and sour cream In a large mixing bowl, stir until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan, and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake it for 30 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown.
You can add and sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley on top if you want to add a little color, but I just like it the way it is. One thing is for sure about serving is you may want to have a spoon handing with which to serve. It is a thick pudding rather than a bread.
To serve, let the casserole dish cool completely. Slide into an airtight tub freezer and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then reheats in the microwave to serve.
Per Serving: 254.5 calories; fat 13.4g 21% DV; cholesterol 59.8mg 20% DV; sodium 642.3mg 26% DV; protein 9.4g 19% DV; carbohydrates 26.4g 9% DV.