cheesy layered pasta bake combines a hearty tomato meat sauce with layers of … hearty tomato sauce, hot Italian sausage, and ground beef…
- 4 cups medium noodles (use any kind of pasta you desire, 4 cups measured after cooking)
- 2 1⁄2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno peppers (optional)
- fresh sliced mushrooms, any amount (or use canned, drained)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large lasagna dish.
- Cook the pasta until only firm-tender; drain (it does not have to measure exactly 4 cups cooked, careful not to overcook the pasta as it will cook more in the oven) drain and transfer to a bowl, toss with a couple of tablespoons oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef, onion, jalapenos, mushrooms, and minced garlic until meat is brown and cooked.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until heated through (you can heat the sauce for up to 45 minutes on low heat). Spread 1/2 meat sauce on bottom of the pan.
- Spread 1/2 noodles on top of sauce.
- Top noodles with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Mix 1 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spread over mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining tomato sauce, noodles, and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered for 20 minutes, uncover casserole (at this point you can sprinkle with grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese if desired).
- Return to oven to bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until bubbly.