Are you searching for an easy dish to throw together for breakfast? I got you covered. The answer lies in this Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Casserole. I always love a quick side of Cheesy Potatoes, but nothing is better than meat and potatoes. You get both in every bite with this recipe. The slices of smoked sausage give this side dish so much salty, meaty flavor.
Those are fabulously cheesy potatoes, so much like mac and potato cheese, instead of pasta. I use a blend of Velveeta cheese with shredded cheddar cheese. I know some people who don’t like Velveeta cheese, but I love how soft and smooth the cheese sauce makes. There’s no risk of the cheese sauce breaking or becoming grainy with Velveeta. The Velveeta adds plenty of creaminess, and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese ups the flavor of the cheese. Don’t forget to try this recipe for Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Casserole, and enjoy it with your loved ones.
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 35mins | Serves: 4 – 6
- 3 c potatoes, peeled, boiled and cubed
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut the skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2″ pieces. Add and cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes until slightly brown, turning frequently.
- Preheat oven 350°F
- Add and put potatoes in a 2-quart casserole, and then add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Add and mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted, and smooth. (stir constantly.) Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and meat.
- Sprinkle the shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top. Then bake for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).