If there’s a quintessential brunch dish it is without question a quiche. This lovely pie filled with eggs, cheese, and vegetables is a timeless classic. The egg and cheese combination is the perfect backdrop for a wide variety of fillings. While it’s super convenient to just pick one up at the grocery store, it’s actually pretty easy to make one right in your own kitchen. Not only that, it will be wonderfully fresh.
A quiche needs just a handful of main ingredients: eggs, cheese, milk, and a sturdy crust. The first ingredient speaks for itself, you gotta have eggs. Now for the dairy: cheese is a must, and pretty much any cheese works, so choose something that goes with the “theme” of your quiche. Next comes the milk. Half-and-half or heavy cream is essential, too, and adds so much silky richness to the eggy filling. An added bonus to our quiche mixture: bacon and just lightly caramelized onion. They make this dish extra savory and amazing.
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn or chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Press pie crust into the pan and up the sides. Edges of the crust will not reach all the way to the top of the pan. Poke holes with a fork into the bottom of pie crust then bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat. Sauté onions until translucent and just golden. Transfer onions to pie crust.
- Top onions with spinach, chopped bacon, and both cheeses.
- Whisk eggs, half-and-half, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over onions, spinach, and bacon. Stir gently to mix.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until eggs have set up. Cool in the springform pan for 10 minutes. Remove springform and transfer quiche to a serving platter.
- Quiche will last up to 3 days refrigerated.