This traditional Italian-American dish made with chicken breasts, mushrooms, and Marsala wine is the ultimate in comfort home cooking. I like serving this over a tangle of linguine or with a side of roast potatoes. Try this recipe for Chicken Marsala with Portobello Mushrooms, and enjoy it with your family and friends.
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 40mins | Total: 1 hr | Servings: 6 | Yield: 6 servings
- 8 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- (4) mushrooms portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- (1) clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 tbsp browning sauce
- ½ tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- (6) (blank)s skinless and boneless chicken breast halves – pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- (1) pinch kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 4 tbsp butter and heat a tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stir the mushroom slices in the skillet until tender. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Melt a tbsp of butter and heat a tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add and stir in garlic and cook until tender, then gradually whisk in a tbsp of flour. Cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Then increase heat to high, and whisk in the beef broth, Marsala, and browning sauce. Add and season sauce with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Let the sauce boil, and reduce heat to low. Mix in cooked mushrooms, and cook the chicken using the skillet. Cover saucepan and remove from heat.
- Add and season chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge chicken breasts in the flour. Melt the remaining 3 tbsp of butter in the skillet used to cook the mushrooms over medium heat. Cook chicken 2 minutes per side until browned. Then arrange the chicken in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish, and cover with the sauce and mushroom mixture.
- Cover baking dish, and bake it for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken juices run clear.
Per Serving: 425.9 calories; fat 23.1g 36% DV; cholesterol 107.9mg 36% DV; sodium 622mg 25% DV; protein 29.1g 58% DV; carbohydrates 19.9g 6% DV.