Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Dip the tops of the cooled macaroons in the chocolate, and place the macaroons on clean parchment until the chocolate is set…
- 1 3/4 cups shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons of almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with butter.
- Combine egg whites, almond extract, vanilla extract, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk for about 3 minutes until the mixture is light and full of air (like shaving cream).
- Zest half of your orange.
- Fold coconut, almond flour, sugar, salt, and orange zest into your whipped egg white mixture until the ingredients are well combined but there is still air in your ingredients.
- Transfer your mixture to the baking sheet in small balls.
- You can make your macaroons whichever size you like but we recommend they have a base diameter of 1 1/2 inches.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges of the macaroons become golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven and let cool.
- Heat chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at high heat for 15-second increments until all of your chocolate chips have melted and have an even consistency.
- Line a new baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take macaroons and dip them, bottom first, into the melted chocolate, placing them on the new baking tray until all of your macaroons have a chocolate-coated base.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate over the tops of your macaroons.
- Place sheet of macaroons in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Serve at room temperature.