Spinach quiche baked in puff pastry. This is my own creation and is devoured every time it’s served up. I hope you enjoy it, it’s a little different but very tasty…
- 1 (17.5 ounces) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a quiche dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line the quiche dish with puff pastry, press the pastry firmly in place and trim away any excess pastry. Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet place spinach and 4 tablespoons water. Heat the mixture over medium and cover the skillet.
- Cook until the spinach is done, approximately 2 minutes then drain well. Add nutmeg to the spinach and puree the mixture.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion with butter or margarine to taste. Saute until the onions are soft and transparent.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat eggs. Stir in the cottage cheese, spinach, and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper. Arrange onions along with the bottom of the pastry-lined quiche dish. Arrange the tomatoes over the onions.
- Pour the egg mixture over the onions and tomatoes, and top entire concoction with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the quiche has set in the middle. Serve hot or cold, your choice.