Confetti chicken pasta is a “recipe” my I-can-make-anything-with-what’s-on-hand momma whipped up back when I was little. It took no time for … I saw this recipe on Pinterest from Bake Cakery and I knew it would be a huge hit in our house. After strawberry picking, we hit up the Froberg … of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (always cook al dente in salt water according to pkg directions). 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided. 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken … Chicken and Veggie Pasta with Spicy Cream Sauce 16 oz. of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (always cook al dente in salt water according to pkg directions) 2 tbsp.
Simple, easy and cheesy! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making this every day! Give it a shot, you’ll love it!To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients:
- 16 oz. of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (always cook al dente in salt water according to pkg directions)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in 1″ cubes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ c. Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, long thin slices (mom uses red, yellow and orange…)
- 1 c. Broccoli florets
- 1 c. Asparagus, chopped in 1″ pieces
- 1 c. Grape tomatoes
How to make it:
- Cook your pasta and let it drain. (tip: I always add a bit of olive oil to my pasta water during cooking so the noodles don’t stick together). Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until done and golden on all sides. Remove and let rest in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining olive oil and begin sauteing the onions for 2 min. Add in the garlic and bell pepper and saute another 2 mins. Then toss in any other woody veggies (broccoli, asparagus) saving the tomatoes until the very end.
- When everything is cooked, combine the veggies with the chicken in your big bowl. (I’m all about reducing dishes here) Now its time for the sauce!
Spicy Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2 c. half & half
- 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- 1 c. Feta cheese (mom uses Parmesan)
- In the same pan you cooked the chicken and veggies in, melt the butter over medium heat. Toss in the flour and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes. (We are making a roux)
- Slowly add in the half and half while stirring to prevent any clumps from forming. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and allow to simmer until you see boiling action. Stir
- When your sauce begins to thicken and bubble, turn off the heat and add in your cheese. Stir until melty (yes that’s a technical term).
- To assemble everything I like to add the pasta first so it gets nice and coated with sauce and then pour the rest of the goodies in. (see photo above). This makes enough for 4
- people (or two if you want lunch the next day!)