Homemade Crab Cakes are better than any version of a restaurant because they are full of lump crab meat. It is the best recipe for crab cake with a very low filler and seasoned to perfection. I enjoy this dish while sipping from a cold fruit juice, I don’t know, but I have this thing about seafood and fruit juices. I think the combination is perfect.
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 30mins | Total: 1 hr | Servings: 15 crab cakes
Crab Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- (1) (1 cup) medium onion, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- (2) large eggs
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- (1 1/2) tsp of old bay seasoning, you can also use a tsp of cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb of lump crab meat, from 2 Dungeness crabs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cups parsley finely chopped
For Lemon Aioli Dip:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- (1) garlic clove pressed
For the Crab cakes:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tbsp of oil and sautee diced bell pepper and onion for 7 to 9 minutes until golden and soft, then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add and whisk (2) eggs, 3 tbsp mayo, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 tsp of old bay seasoning, or 1 of tsp cajun, 1 tsp of garlic salt, and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Drain, pick over the crab meat to make sure there aren’t any stray shells, lightly breaking up big pieces of meat. Then transfer to the large bowl with egg mixture.
- Add cooled bell pepper and onion, panko crumbs, and parsley and stir until combined and moistened. Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Divide mixture into about 15 cakes. With wet hands, lightly shape into 1/2” thick patties. Then put a large non-stick pan over medium heat with a tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of butter and sautee crab cakes in batches for 4-5 minutes per side. You should reduce the heat if it turns brown too quickly. Transfer to a serving platter, repeat with remaining crab cakes adding more oil and butter.
For Crab Cake Dip:
- In a small bowl, stir lemon aioli dip ingredients until well blended. Cover, refrigerate until ready to serve with the warm crab cakes.