These homemade cream cheese mints make me feel just a wee bit nostalgic for the 80’s. You see, I remember these when I was growing up. They would be served at graduation parties, weddings, and other celebrations.
As a little girl with no self-control, I would eat these by the handful.
I hadn’t eaten these for – well, decades – until I went home to visit my parents a few weeks ago. My mom and I made a batch, bringing some to Ladies Aid, giving some away to some friends, and eating some ourselves.
They tasted just as good as I remember.
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 5-5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Gel food coloring, as needed
- To a large bowl, add cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Using an electric mixer, cream together until well blended.
- Add peppermint extract and food coloring, and mix to combine.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a work surface. Roll mixture into small balls, place on wax paper, and flatten each ball with a fork dipped in powdered sugar.
- Let rest on wax paper until dry, at least 2 hours, then store in refrigerator up to one month. Enjoy!