- 2 large potatoes (or several small new potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 c cream
- 1 c milk
- 3 c fresh shelled peas or frozen
- 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- pepper to taste
- If you are using new potatoes you just boil them in water until tender.
- If you are using regular potatoes, peel them and cut them into large, 1 1/2 inch cubes. Boil in salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare a basic white sauce by melting the butter in a 2 qt saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and then the cream and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking until thick and smooth.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the chicken bullion and the peas and cook until heated through.
- By this time your potatoes are pretty close to being done, Drain the potatoes and add them to the white sauce.
- Stir in pepper if desired. Do not overcook. You want the peas to remain crisp and not get soggy like canned peas (Yuck!!)
- Leftovers get somewhat thick, you may want to add some milk when you reheat this dish.