The noodles cook in their own sauce which means that they absorb so much of that wonderful flavor. While we start with a jar of pre-made sauce, it’s doctored up with a few additional seasonings to give it a little homemade flair. Once the Instant Pot timer dings and the noodles are nice and tender, you stir in a little heavy cream, Parmesan, and some cream cheese…
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (16 oz.) box dry shell pasta
- 1 (24 oz.) jar tomato basil sauce
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature, cubed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Set instant pot to sauté and heat olive oil until shimmering, then add onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add ground beef, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Another 6-8 minutes.
- Season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes, plus salt and pepper as needed, then stir in tomato paste.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then stir in dry shells.
- Pour in tomato sauce and water, but don’t stir, ensuring pasta stays submerged in liquid.
- Seal lid and pressure valve, then set to pressure cook (on high) for 5 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure valve, then stir in heavy cream, cream cheese, and parmesan.
- Place lid on the instant pot (no need to seal), and let sit for 5 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted and sauce is smooth.
- Serve hot and enjoy