The ultimate in gourmet comfort food with parmesan cheese, garlic and a creamy lemon sauce, this Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken Piccata …
For The Chicken:
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 4
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose or plain)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
For The Sauce:
- A light spray of cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter (or oil)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1¼ cup chicken broth (stock)
- ½ cup milk (full fat or 2% — or use reduced fat cream or heavy cream)
- ⅓ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons capers (plus 2 tablespoons extra to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice — juice of 1 lemon (adjust to your tastes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Lightly spray pan/skillet with a light coating of cooking oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and parmesan cheese. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in the flour mixture; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 teaspoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter has melted and the pan is hot.
- Fry the chicken until golden on each side and cooked through and no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken).
- Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the garlic to the oil in the pan (spray with a light coating of oil if needed) and fry until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the broth and milk (or cream).
- Bring the sauce to a boil; season with salt and pepper to your taste; add in the parmesan cheese and capers and allow the sauce to simmer for about 2 minutes until thicker.
- If the sauce is too runny for your liking, add the cornstarch/water mixture into the center of the pan and mix through fast to combine into the sauce. It will begin to thicken immediately).
- Pour in the lemon juice, allow to simmer for a further minute to combine.
- Add the chicken back into the pan to serve, or serve over steamed vegetables, zucchini noodles or cooked pasta with the sauce.
- Top with extra capers to garnish, lemon slices and parsley.