I grew up loving scalloped potatoes and ham. I have a basic version similar to what Mom made. I have also included my kicked up creamier version which uses evaporated milk. The evaporated milk gives it a sweeter taste that goes well with the ham.
Cook time: 4 Hr Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 8
Simple, easy and cheesy! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making this every day! Give it a shot, you’ll love it!
To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients:
- 10 medium Idaho potatoes; peeled
- 8 oz pkg diced ham, or cut your own
- 1/2 c chopped onion (I use frozen-no more tears!!)
- 1 can(s) Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
- 1 can(s) cream of mushroom soup, light
- 1 /2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp dry mustard and white pepper
KICKED UP CREAMY VERSION
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 can(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 1-1 1/2 c shredded swiss cheese
- paprika, just a sprinkle
1. Regular version: In a large bowl mix the two soups and feel free to add a tiny splash of milk, then add the onion, hams and seasonings. Slice the potatoes in half and then into slices; add to soup and mix well. Put into the crock pot, and add a sprinkle of paprika. Cook on high 4 hours or low 7-8 hours. Sprinkle the cheddar on top during last 10 min.
2. Kicked Up version: Place peeled potatoes in a bowl of water. Melt the butter over med-high heat, cook and stir a few mins. Then whisk in the flour and stir. Add 1 cup of the evaporated milk and stir over med-high heat until bubbly and thickened; you may need the whole can.
3. Stir in the cheddar soup, Swiss and cheddar cheese and seasonings, stir till melted and creamy. (You will not use the mushroom soup in this version 🙂
4. Slice potatoes in half and then into slices. Place in a large bowl, along with onions and ham; mix well. Place in crock pot and cook the same as regular version. Let stand 10 min prior to serving.
5. Some people like to layer the ingredients, instead of mixing in a bowl. I like it all mixed so the flavors marry. Use your preference!