Beefy French onion soup is made in the slow cooker, then topped with the … Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir onions until …
- 6 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 can(s)beef broth, 14 ounce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 8 slices Swiss or gruyere cheese
- 1/4 dry sherry, if desired
- In a large skillet, cook onions and garlic on low heat in hot butter for about 20 minutes and stir several times.
- Transfer onion mixture to a 5-quart crock pot. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Before serving soup, toast bread slices with cheese slice on top. (Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly brown and bubbly).
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with toast.
Makes: 8 servings