This divinely white cake is so classic and delicious. In this beautiful, delicious, moist cake, you can taste the eggnog. My grandma loves this cake so much, and she used to make this when she was much younger and can able to walk on her own. She always tells us that it looks kind of plain, but the flavor will blow you away. Try to make your version of this recipe for Deep South Eggnog Cake, and don’t forget to enjoy it.
Prep: 40 mins | Cook: 30mins | Additional: 2 hrs 30 mins | Total: 3 hrs 40 mins | Serving: 12 | Yield: 1 9-inch layer cake
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- (1 ¼) cups white sugar
- (3) eaches eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp finely grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of prepared eggnog (or see notes for recipe)
- 2 tbsp bourbon whiskey
For the Frosting:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups prepared eggnog
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp rum-flavored extract
- ⅛ tsp finely grated lemon peel
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Start by preheating the oven at about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Then, grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Add 1/2 c of butter and 1 1/4 c of sugar and beat with an electric mixer in a wide bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add eggs, one at a time, to allow the egg mix with the mixture of butter before adding the next one. Add and stir in a tsp of vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp of lemon peel, mixing well.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and a tsp of salt in a bowl. Add and pour flour mixture into the batter alternately with a cup of eggnog, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in bourbon, then divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake until cake springs back when touched lightly with a fingertip or a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean for 30 to 35 minutes (test both cake layers) in the preheated oven. Allow cooling for 10 minutes in pans for before inverting on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, add and combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 tsp of salt in a saucepan. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups eggnog gradually, whisking until smooth.
- Let it boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. When mixture boils, cook for 2 minutes until it thickens, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and let cool completely to room temperature.
- Beat a cup of butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy in a bowl. Add and mix in cooled eggnog mixture, 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, rum extract, and 1/8 tsp of grated lemon peel. Beat until mixture is fully incorporated and the frosting is fluffy on high speed.
- Spread the cake with plain frosting between the cake layers, over the top and on the sides. Coat each side with toasted pecans, pressing the nuts onto sides in small handfuls. Refrigerate until serving time.
Instead of using bourbon whiskey, you can use dark rum.
If eggnog is not available, just follow the procedure below.
Pulse (2) eggs in a blender, and then add 2 tbsp of white sugar, 1/12 c of milk, a cup of heavy whipping cream, and a dash each of vanilla and rum extracts. Blend until smooth.
Per Serving: 594.1 calories; 133.1 mg cholesterol; 531.5 mg sodium; 6.5 g protein; 71.9 g carbohydrates.