This classic French beef stew is the ultimate cold weather comfort food. After a few hours in the oven, the meat becomes meltingly tender and enveloped in a rich wine sauce.
- 2 tbsps of olive oil.
- 2 pounds of cubed beef stew meat.
- 2 tbsps of all purpose flour.
- 4 cups of water.
- 2 cups of beef broth.
- ½ tsp of salt.
- ½ tsp of ground black pepper.
- 4 cups of cubed potatoes.
- 2 cups of chopped carrots.
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary.
- 1 cup of fresh corn kernels.
- 1 cup of fresh green beans cut into 1” pieces.
- 1 cup of chopped turnip (optional).
- 2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes (optional).
- In a large pot, heat the oil and stir in the beef and flour until browned.
- Pour in the water and broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix in the potatoes, carrots and rosemary and simmer for 1 to 2 more hours.
- Mix in the corn, green beans and simmer for 30 minutes.