Yummy! Tastes Like Cabbage Rolls! Low Calorie and very inexpensive to make!
YIELD 6 Large portions
- 1 medium cabbage (shredded and bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix works great and saves this step)
- 16 ounces ground turkey or 16 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 egg, beaten or 1 egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (14 ounces) can stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 10 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground is best
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet for about a minute. Add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain well and let cool to room temperature. When meat has cooled add egg, milk, and rice.
- Meanwhile, remove tough outer leaves from cabbage & remove the core.
- Shred cabbage if not using a bag of shredded cabbage. Saute the cabbage in the same skillet used before.
- In a large bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together. P
- lace some of this mixture in the bottom of a sprayed 10×13 casserole dish so you have a nice layer of sauce.
- Try not to use more than half though.
- Layer half the cabbage on top of the sauce. Layer all the meat on top of the cabbage.
- Top with remaining cabbage and then finish by pouring all the remaining sauce on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Remember- whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it!