- 21/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Garnish: toasted pecan halves
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and a candy thermometer registers 248° (about 15 minutes).
- Remove syrup mixture from heat.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Pour half of the hot syrup into a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed, about 5 minutes.
- Cook remaining half of syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally until a candy thermometer registers 272° (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Slowly pour hot syrup and vanilla extract over egg white mixture, beating constantly at high speed until mixture holds its shape (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Drop mixture quickly by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased wax paper. Garnish, if desired. Cool.