I love Strawberries, and I love every strawberry recipe, and this one is not an exception. It has a rich, moist vanilla pound cake that is divided into three layers. It has a light yet filling treat that is perfect for every occasion. My family loves this cake so much, and I hope you will try this recipe for Fresh Strawberry Cake for your family.
For the Cake:
- 4 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup, 2 tbsp butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- (4) eggs, and (1) egg white
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange extract optional
- 3/4 cup, plus 6 tbsp milk
For Strawberry Frosting:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 pints strawberries finely chopped, 2 cups chopped strawberries
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Then prepare 3, 9-inch round cake pans by spraying liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add and beat butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Then add the eggs slowly, mix well until combined.
- Stir in sour cream, vanilla, and optional orange extract, and mix well until combined.
- Then scrape each side of the bowl and add half of the flour mixture, stir until fully incorporated. Scrape each side of the bowl again and stir in the milk.
- Add the remaining flour, and stir until the flour is fully incorporated. Scrape each side and bottom of the bowl and give it one last stir.
- Divide the batter into (3) prepared, round baking pans.
- Bake it for about 35 minutes. Cakes are made when tops spring back with a light touch, or when a toothpick inserted in the cake’s center comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before turning over onto a plate or baking rack.
For the Frosting:
- Add and beat heavy cream until stiff peaks forms using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or with a handheld mixer). Set aside, preferably in the fridge. (Leave them in the bowl if you have two bowls for your stand mixer, or move them to another bowl before putting them in the refrigerator).
- Then put the paddle attachment on your mixer. Add and beat cream cheese on high until light and fluffy, then scrape the sides a couple of times. Add vanilla and sugar and beat on medium until fully incorporated.
- Add and stir in chopped strawberries on low speed. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Fold gently in the whipped cream with a spatula until well combined.
You should put the first cake layer on your serving platter, frost just the top with the strawberry frosting (about 1/2″ or so thick). Then repeat with the next two layers, then frost the sides with an offset spatula (the long and skinny kind). Smooth top and sides until even, then top with sliced strawberries for garnish, if desired.