These spelled flour vegan breadsticks are topped with a herbed garlic oil and are delicious when dipped in marinara sauce! Dairy free, egg free recipe…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons quick rising yeast I like Red Star quick rise yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups white spelled flour all-purpose flour is fine, too
For the topping:
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Marinara sauce for dipping
- Put the warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a large bowl, and let sit for about 10 minutes so the sugar feeds the yeast.
- It will look a little bit foamy on top.
- Add the spelled flour, salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil to the yeast and water mixture, and mix together.
- Knead the dough with your hands just a little bit until it is smooth and elastic.
- If it seems too wet, add a bit more spelled flour.
- Take a handful of dough, roll it into a log, and place it on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Stretch it out until it is about six inches long.
- Repeat with remaining dough. You should get about 8 breadsticks.
- Set aside to rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the crushed garlic, Italian seasoning, and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl.
- Brush this mixture over the tops of the breadsticks.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy with warmed marinara sauce for dipping if desired.