This is a very old recipe that must have come from my Great Grandma. I remember Grandma and Mom making this simple dessert when I was very young.
Served with ice cream or whipped cream this is very good. Both Grandma and my Dad liked it warm, in a bowl with fresh, cold, heavy cream on it.
When I make it now I usually add dried cranberries to the applesauce. You can also add raisins, walnuts, or other dried fruits or nuts.
- 10 -12baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4cups flour
- 3⁄4cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4lb butter
- 2⁄3cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4cup hot water
- 1⁄2lemon, juice of
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange slices in the bottom of a lightly greased 12×9 pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Mix flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly and set aside.
- Syrup: Combine ingredients and stir well.
- Drizzle half of mixture over apples.
- Cover with flour mix.
- Pour remaining syrup over top.
- Bake at 350 for one hour.