Grandma’s Cabbage Burgers–I make this an all-day event when I make them due to the fact I make 5 dozen and freeze them… which turns out to be a waste of …
- 6 lb hamburger (I use deer or elk)
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- 5 Tbsps minced garlic
- 2 large onion
- 4 medium cabbage heads
- 5loaves of bread dough
- I have one person try these that stated they added cubes of potatoes to the filling as well!
- 1 water, warm
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/3 C powdered milk
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 coil or butter (melted)
- 3 color
- Start by browning the meat using salt and pepper and garlic salt to taste.
- Add in 1 of the onions and 1 or 2 tablespoons of the garlic as well. Drain the meat and set aside.
- While you are browning the meat you should chop up the onions and cabbage.
- I like small chunks of onion and medium-sized chunks of cabbage.
- Add cabbage, onion, and remaining garlic to large stalk pot add the burger on top of cabbage and mix.
- Season to taste with salt pepper and garlic salt.
- Let simmer on LOW heat till cabbage is tender.
- I use my bread machines to make the bread, add 1 tbsp yeast and 1 tbsp sugar to 1 cup warm water mix till dissolved and place in the bread machine then add the other ingredients in order to the machine an set on dough setting.
- As soon as everything is ready to go, roll out the dough and cut them into 12 squares large enough for a heaping 1/2 cup of the cabbage mixture. Fold up the corners and “just a pinch” to seal them and place them on a large cookie sheet.
- I have it set up so when I take one batch of bread dough out I start the next loaf right away so that by the time the cabbage burgers come out of the oven and cool I can be working on the next batch.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, till nice and golden brown. Lightly brush tops of rolls with butter.
- Serve right from the oven, and freeze the rest if there is any.
- You can cut this down but where I only do the majority of my baking in the winter I do it this away and freeze them.