Great Holiday Cake~ Paula Deen- Grandmother Paul’s Red Velvet Cake. With cocoa & vinegar, the way it should be – not just red colored chocolate cake. I’d use …
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 sticks butter, 2 for cake, 1 (softened) for icing
- 2 oz red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (16 oz) box confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows, melted
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat eggs; add sugar.
- Mix cocoa and food coloring.
- Add 2 sticks butter and egg mixture; mix well.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
- Pour into three 8-inch round greased and floured pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tests done.
- Blend cream cheese and 1 stick softened butter.
- Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.
- Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.