My husband’s great aunt, Mary Carter, made these cookies for as long as my husband can remember, and made them on a regular basis until she passed away several years ago at the age of 90-something. They are a favorite of the Kellum family. These cookies are soft and *always* perfectly round! I was thrilled when my Aunt Donnie passed the recipe on to me. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family! Ginger Cookies: Not just for Christmas anymore!
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter or oleo (she used oleo), softened
- 2 Tbsp Crisco
- 2 tsp Crisco
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sift flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together three times into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Mix butter, Crisco, sugar, egg, and molasses in large mixing bowl.
3. Slowly incorporate dry mixture into wet mixture.
4. Form dough into little balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
5. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 12-15 minutes.