Making some side dishes today for grilling out and summer meals. Our weather has been so nice this week so here is one I just came up with using sweet potatoes and red potatoes in combonation.
I would like to add that Sherri Logan Williams just has a way of inspiring me to reach inside my mind and come out with something different for the dinner table. She is becoming my mentor and she just doesn’t know it.
Cook time: 2 Hr Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 6
6 medium size red potatoes
2 medium size sweet potatoes
1 sweet chopped onion
4 mini sweet peppers
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 c olive oil
6 slices of bacon
1/4 c white wine
reserved bacon grease
1. In a large skillet I poured about half the olive oil in and put the sliced onions with garlic into the pan with the mushrooms and peppers. Let cook till tender.
2. I deglazed the pan with the white wine.
3. clean and removed any bad places in the red potatoes and slice thin with my knife, if you have a mandoline then you may use that if you like to slice that way.
4. Wash the sweet potatoes then peel off the outer skin and slice them thin too
5. Add to the pan the parsley, salt, pepper, potatoes and let simmer just about 5 mins, then take a cast iron pan add the rest of the olive oil and fry the bacon slow untill it is crisp. Remove and set aside. Now add all the ingredients from the other pan to this bacon grease and stir around well. Place a lid over it or a foil wrap.
6. You can cook this in a 350 degrees oven for about 1 hr or 1 and half . Make sure all it tender before removing from the oven
7. I like to make a hot bed of coals and place the cast iron pan on the grill and let cook about 2 hours till tender and done. This gives it such a geat flavor for a cooked out meal with steaks, or burgers. Crumble your bacon all over top of the dish of potatoes and serve.
8. Sprinkle a little more kosher salt and black pepper if needed to taste.