This recipe is been passed down through 4 generations in our family via my mother’s side, with some slight changes made over the years, due …
- 1 bunch seedless white grapes, removed from stem and washed
- 1 bunch seedless dark grapes, removed from stems and washed
- 4-5 medium delicious apples, cored, sliced into 8th’s, and then into about 1/2 inch pieces. leave skin on for color and extra fiber. (peel if you wish)
- 1 bottle8 oz maraschino cherries, seeded, stemmed and well drained
- 2 can(s)6.5 oz, mandarin orange sections, well drained
- 1 bunch celery hearts, cut into small cubes (leaves removed)
- 2 can(s)20 oz pineapple chunks, very well drained
- 1 bunch bananas (4-5 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 pkg miniature marshmallows (or large marshmallows cut into fourths w/ kitchen scissors)
- 1-1/2 lb walnut pieces
- 16 oz cool whip (2-8 oz tubs) topping, thawed
- 2-1/2 C mayonnaise, light
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tspground cloves
- 2 Tbsps granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tsppure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsprum or almond extract (your choice, to taste)
- FIRST, you will need 1 very large bowl for the salad, and a medium mixing bowl for mixing the dressing. (My VERY LARGE bowl is about 15 inches in diameter, and about 10 inches tall.)
- Wash and drain all fresh fruits and celery. and allow to drain until as dry as possible. Drain all canned ingredients well.
- Remove grapes from stems, cut in half if you wish, and add to the large mixing bowl.
- Cut cherries in half, if you wish (and remove stems if needed), Add all to the salad bowl, along with drained canned orange segments and pineapple chunks.
- Cut up apples and celery as directed in the ingredients list. Add to the large bowl(as per above). Peel and slice bananas, and add to salad bowl,
- If using large marshmallows, cut them into quarters with kitchen shears into salad bowl. (If using miniature marshmallows, just add them to the salad bowl.)
- Add walnut pieces to the salad bowl.
- To make the salad dressing, place thawed Cool Whip in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and whisk them together, Add sugar, spices, and rum (or almond) extract. Whisk well to thoroughly combine.
- Pour dressing over salad in a large bowl, and gently fold all ingredients with a rubber spatula until well coated with dressing.
- Place saran wrap snugly over salad bowl. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.