How to make Homemade Funnel Cakes, a classic carnival and boardwalk recipe, as part of my food bucket …
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water, and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel.
- Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released, scraping with a rubber spatula if needed.
- Fry 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm.
1 funnel cake: 316 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.