For Homemade Hamburger Helper, the process is the same as the box. You brown the ground beef, then add the noodles, the liquid, and the seasoning, and let it all simmer together for just a few minutes until the noodles are tender. The main difference is that you’re effectively creating your own ‘sauce packet,’ which means you know exactly what’s going into your dinner. We’ve found the perfect combination to be a balance of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, and salt and pepper. It tastes just like the real thing…
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup dry macaroni noodles
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat and drain grease.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the skillet, except for the cheese, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cheese and cover. Let sit 2 minutes and then stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!