This classic Native American fry bread is deep fried to puffed-up perfection. Serve this delicious bread with a meal or make Indian fry bread …
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup shortening
- Extra flour to flour your hands
- Put flour in a bowl, add baking powder, salt, and powdered milk.
- Mix in warm water to form the dough.
- Cover hands in flour
- Knead dough by hand until soft but not sticky. Cover with a cloth and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into balls about 2 inches across then flattens by patting and stretching the dough.
- Melt shortening about an inch deep in the frying pan. When hot put the dough in pan. Fry one side till golden brown, then turn and fry the other.
- Can be topped with honey, powdered sugar, etc. You can also make it savory by topping with cooked sausage, or fried egg…. Enjoy