Makes approx 24 balls
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar (about 3 1/2-4 cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (approx) Bourbon (I recommend Maker’s Mark brand), separated
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely ground
- 1/3 cup approx (24) pecan halves
- 12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- Using a mixer, combine butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup Bourbon and vanilla and mix in.
- Finally, mix in the ground pecans.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place in rows on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The filling is very sticky. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Set in refrigerator until firm, then transfer to a freezer bag and place in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile place pecan halves in a small bowl, cover with remaining 1/4 cup of Bourbon and let soak overnight.
- Once balls are hardened/frozen melt chocolate in the microwave (30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth).
- I do this in batches (1/3 of the chocolate at a time) and 6 or so balls at a time so they don’t get too soft with the warm chocolate.
- Place a toothpick in each bourbon ball, sticking the toothpick into the center.
- Working quickly, dip the bourbon ball centers into the chocolate one at a time. Tap the toothpick against the side of the bowl to shake off excess chocolate.
- Set the coated bourbon balls on a waxed or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- With another toothpick push the bourbon ball gently from the toothpick and cover the spot where it was with bourbon soaked pecan half.
- Place coated bourbon balls in the fridge and let them set and harden.
- Store in a sealed container and give as gifts or serve at your next holiday party!