Several years ago, Longhorn’s Restaurant used to serve a Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich that my hubby and I loved. I don’t know what brought it to my mind last week, but I thought it would be easy to recreate a keto/low carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Skillet meal that would be amazing. I bought the thin cut chicken that I cut into small strips with my poultry shears so that it would cook faster. Sometimes our days get so crazy, I blink my eyes, and it’s dinnertime, so I like dinner options that are quick and easy like this one. We loved it so much; I made it twice last week. I served it with asparagus the first time and broccoli the next…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 55 minutes ]
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small strips
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 7 slices provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a hot cast iron skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter and add peppers, onion, and garlic.
- Saute until the onions and peppers are translucent then remove veggies from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the cast iron skillet then add chicken, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper.
- Allow to sear on each side, then cover and cook on medium-low until the chicken is cooked all the way through. I use a meat thermometer to test doneness.
- Once the chicken is done, add the pepper, onion, and garlic back to the skillet. Cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Place provolone cheese slices on top of the chicken and veggie mixture to cover, and then place the skillet in the oven on broil for 1-3 minutes until the cheese is melted thoroughly.