These hamburger steaks with gravy are the perfect low carb and frugal comfort food! They are so easy to make and with only 1 total carb per serving, you can feel good about making them a regular on your meal plan…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 2 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can beef broth
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4-1 tsp xanthan gum
- To make the hamburger “steaks” combine the ground beef with the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and mustard in a large bowl – mixing until well combined. Then form into eight equal patties. You will want to make them as thin as possible.
- Place the patties in a hot skillet and cook until done. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 can of beef broth to the skillet with the beef drippings*, stir to loosen any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- I used 80/20 ground beef for this recipe, if you use a fattier beef you should remove some of the greases before adding the beef broth. Reserving around 2-3 tbsp worth.
- Allow the gravy to reduce by about half, then begin adding your xanthan gum in 1/4 tsp increments – stirring thoroughly after each addition, until you get a gravy-like consistency. I used about 1/2 tsp for this recipe, but that amount may vary depending upon how much you reduce your sauce.
- Serve the cooked “steaks” topped with gravy