These cupcakes are excellently moist and fluffy with a perfectly sweet and tangy lemon and cream cheese frosting. I so love the fusion of coconut and lemon – it is so refreshing and extremely good!
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Additional: 30 mins | Total: 1 hr 10 mins | Servings: 12 | Yield: 1 dozen cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, or to taste
- Step 1: Prepare the oven. Preheat it to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
- Step 2: Using paper liners line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Step 3: In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Step 4: In a saucepan, add 5 tablespoons of butter and milk. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes over low heat until the butter has melted. Then, remove from the heat.
- Step 5: In a bowl, add the white sugar, eggs, egg yolk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is smooth and has thickened.
- Step 6: Gradually pour the flour mixture into the sugar-egg mixture while mixing continuously using the electric mixer until just combined. Then, add in the butter and milk mixture slowly and continue beating until just incorporated before folding in half a cup of shredded coconut.
- Step 7: Divide the batter evenly on each muffin cup and fill.
- Step 8: Place inside the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Step 9: Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 10: To make the frosting. In a bowl, beat using an electric mixer on medium speed the softened butter and cream cheese. Adjust the speed to low and slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar into the creamed butter until combined. Then, beat in half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Step 11: Frost the cupcakes by spreading the frosting on top of the cupcakes, then, sprinkling about a teaspoon of shredded coconut on top of each cupcake.
Per Serving: 307.7 calories; protein 4g 8% DV; carbohydrates 40.5g 13% DV; fat 14.8g 23% DV; cholesterol 82.4mg 28% DV; sodium 199.4mg 8% DV