- 1¼ cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sifted cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- zest of two small or one large lemon, grated and finely chopped
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 tsp minced lemon zest (optional)
- approximately 4 tbsp milk
- Grease and flour 2 nine inch round cake pans and line the bottom with 2 circles of parchment paper.
- Sift together both flours, baking soda. baking powder, salt, and sugar, Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening, vanilla, and lemon extract.
- Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold in the lemon zest.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions.
- It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients.
- Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the two prepared 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Mix together the icing sugar, lemon zest, and butter until it becomes sort of crumbly.
- Add the lemon extract and a little of the milk.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding only enough milk to bring the frosting to a creamy spreadable consistency.
- Fill and frost the cake. Garnish with candied lemon zest if desired.
To make candied lemon zest, remove the zest with a sharp vegetable peeler in long strips, avoiding as much of the white pith as possible.
- Bring one cup of water and one cup of sugar to a slow boil.
- Add the pieces of lemon zest and boil for about 15 minutes. Drain the lemon zest on a wire rack.
- When cool, cut them in strips and roll in fine sugar.